EMC recently announced the newest addition to their Converged Infrastructure portfolio, with the introduction of VxRail. VxRail was jointly developed by EMC and VMWare and is exclusively available from EMC. They claim that it is the only fully integrated, pre-configured, and tested Hyper-Converged Infrastructure appliance in the market that is powered by VMware Hyper-Converged software. I’m very excited about this technology and think that it will be an instant leader in the Hyper-Converged Infrastructure marketplace.
Let’s highlight some of the main benefits of VxRail and why it can be a great fit for SMB, SME, and even Enterprise customers. Many of you are probably familiar with EMC’s popular VBlock Converged Infrastructure platform. The VBlock is sometimes “too big” for certain use cases, like remote office, or some SMB shops. EMC took this into account when developing VxRail, making it a great solution for those customers! With VxRail, you get many of the same inherent benefits of a VBlock, but in a much smaller package.
Let’s take a look at some of the specs:
- Each appliance is only 2 Rack Units and contains storage and 4 compute nodes
- Scales up from 1 to 16 appliances (64 Nodes)
- Grow from 40 VMs to over 3,000 VMs
- Add nodes non-disruptively
Flexible Node Configurations
- Hybrid Nodes – Cost Effective Nodes
- CPU Cores – 6, 12, 16, or 20 (Per Node)
- RAM – 64 GB, 128 GB, 192 GB, 256 GB, or 512 GB (Per Node)
- Storage – 3.6 TB, 4.8 TB, 6 TB, 8 TB, or 10 TB (Per Node)
- All Flash Nodes – Extreme Performance Nodes (Available in Q2)
- CPU Cores – 12, 16, 20, 24, or 28 (Per Node)
- RAM – 256 GB, or 512 GB (Per Node)
- Storage – 7.6 TB, 11.4 TB, 15.2 TB, or 19 TB (Per Node)
EMC and VMware Software Included
- VMware hyper-converged software stack
- VSphere – Industry standard hypervisor (there is an option to bring your own licenses, but restrictions apply!)
- VCenter Server – Unified and extensible management solution
- Virtual SAN – Radically simple enterprise class storage
- Replication – Recoverpoint for VMs (Includes license to replicate 15 VMs)
- Backup and Recovery – Vmware Data Protection (VDP)
- Cloud Extensibility via EMC Cloud Array
Simple Management & Deployment
- Single pane of glass to manage the entire stack
- 15 minutes from powering on the appliance to creating VMs
As you can see the VxRail is a very powerful platform in a very small form factor. EMC and VMware have put an incredible amount of time and thought into the development of this product. Everything you would need to quickly deploy a high performing, mission critical, cloud ready, and protected environment is included in this appliance. Costs start at only $60K for an entry level, bring your own license, VxRail. With the price point, performance, and scalability it is a compelling option for remote branch offices, any edge location, and even the enterprise data center.
I am also pleased to announce that Sovereign Systems just become the first partner in North America certified to deliver VxRail implementation services.